Monday, February 24, 2014

The birth of Eden - part 5

(continuing)

So contractions started coming and there was no doubt they were different this time. They were coming every 5-8 min apart. I called J and she told me to stop pumping and relax, drink a glass of wine even (haha, no), and call her back when contractions were coming every 4 min apart for one hour.

At around 8 pm everybody came home from McDonalds and Luca was really tired. I put him in my bed, with Ryan on the other side of him, and we breathed him in and kissed and squeezed him. I knew I was enjoying our last moment together as a family of three. I cried happy tears as Luca fell asleep in my arms. And contractions kept coming.

We were watching "X men" while I labored in the living room. I would lean over my yoga ball everytime a contraction hit (it felt soooo good leaning over the ball). I was so confused because contractions kept coming, but they were either further apart and really intense, or close together but not that intense. And real labor contractions are supposed to get closer together AND more intense at the same time. So I thought this couldn't be it.

But at 11 pm the contractions were still coming, and even though they weren't as intense, they were coming every 2-4 min apart! We decided maybe it was time to call J and go in (my MIL was starting to get nervous at this point, hehe). But I still wasn't convinced it was the right time to go to the birth center. Real labor HAS to be more painful than this! And I didn't want to go the birth center too early and labor there for hours, or have contractions stop again once I got there.

But then, when Ryan gave me the phone to call J, I was having a contraction and I told him "you call her!". He laughed and said "That's when we know it's time to go".

It was a little after 12 am when we got to the birth center .J checked me and I was 6 cm dilated, my cervix was "paper thin", and baby had not only dropped but she was in the perfect position for labor (yay for my midwife's wisdom and my yoga ball!).
I was excited but I was in serious denial, I thought for sure J was gonna send me back home, I was shocked when she sent me back to the room. She told me I was still a little too happy to get in the birth tub, she thought it was better to wait until I was a "little more grumpy" to get in the water.

So she left us in the room and told me to go get her anytime I needed or wanted her. I was gratefull she left me alone with Ryan, I wasn't in that much pain anyways, I was handling contraction just fine. At some point the student midwife/assistant got there, and she would come and check on me and baby often. It was really nice laboring there, such a cozy room, alone with my husband, leaning over the yoga ball when contractions hit. I thought I was going to be there all night before baby came.

And then, at 1 am, a contraction hit, and it was a LOT more intense than any other contraction I had ever had. And then I felt this POP, and my water broke. It hurt so much I let go of the ball and clung to Ryan for dear life!

J came in and I asked her to check me for dialation, she looked at me and asked "are you sure? I checked you not that long ago". But I wanted to know if I was progressing because I was still in some serious denial. She checked me and I was 7-8 cm, and baby was really low. If I still wasn't convinced that I was in transition, that should have been my clue. They told me to go ahead and get in the birth tub and I told her "maybe I should wait until I'm in REAL pain to get in". J looked at me surprised and said "honey, trust me, if you don't get in right now it'll be too late". Then she left the room shaking her head and saying "she's still in denial".

Then I got in the jacuzzi tub and OH MY GOSH! It felt heavenly! It totally took the edge off the contractions. They left us alone again, coming in to check every so often, they told me to go call anytime I felt like I needed their support or if felt like pushing.
I have footage of Ryan filming me while I was in the Tub and I said "I know I'm gonna bite my tong later, but
this is really not that bad!". That was about 15 min before baby was born. 

And then a contraction hit, and I started pushing involuntarily, and (here comes the embarassing part), I screamed. 

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment